TEACHER OF THE MONTH: INTERVIEW WITH MR. KWONG
This is an interview with the math teacher at our school, Mr. Kwong.
1. How many years have you been teaching for? How many years at UHill?
I have been teaching for 7 years. I have taught at UHill for the last 6 years.
2. When and why did you decide you wanted to become a teacher? Have you ever thought about pursuing a different career?
I decided to pursue a different challenge and chose teaching after 12 years as an engineer.
3. What was your major in college? What was it like for you during your college years?
My major was Engineering Physics at UBC. It was 5 years of intense work but I enjoyed it.
4. What are some of the rewarding and challenging aspects of your job?
It is rewarding to see students reach their potential. It is challenging to help students realize that they have that potential in them.
5. Of the years that you have been a teacher, which do you think was your most successful, and why?
I’ve enjoyed teaching students and the school community at UHill so from that perspective, every year has been successful.
6. What do you hope to achieve by being a teacher?
I hope I can help set students up to be successful in whatever they chose to do once they leave UHill.
7. What is your favorite hobby?
I enjoy woodworking.
8. What is your favorite food?
I don’t have a favorite food. I like trying all kinds of food.
9. Do you have a message for UHillians?
Work hard but also find time to have fun. Enjoy your time at UHill. It goes by very quickly.