CLUB Interview: RTS club
Road to School Club photo
Interviewee: Crystal Li
1. Please introduce us to your club (basic information including club name, when it was founded, meeting time/place, sponsor teacher, the overall purpose/aim of the club)
RoadtoSchool is a student club of University Hill Secondary School founded in 2017 to support and promote girls’ education in developing countries by organizing fundraising events and increasing awareness through workshops within our school and our community.
2. Could you describe the activities that take place during club meetings?
During club meetings, we decide the topic of fundraising events and delegate specific work (such as sending school office a bulletin message) to members participating in each project.
3. What did your club do last year, in terms of events and any meaningful achievements?
We hold annual fundraising events, such as selling Christmas Cards with chocolate & candies to support female high school students in Africa for their tuition fees. The funds go towards sponsoring female high school students in Africa through a non-profit organization, One Girl Can, to support the students’ yearly tuition fees. We also hold Book and Clothing Drives to help support schools in the Vancouver area.
4. What events are you planning to organize this year?
We are organizing a video project and clothing drive fundraising events. For the clothing drive, people could bring those items of clothing that they do not wear anymore and receive a piece of candy for each item you donate. All clothing will be donated to SOS Children's Village Thrift Foundation.
5. What is the best part about participating in this club/ what makes your club stand out?
Participating in this club let our club members meet others who share love and passion and organize various meaningful fundraising events together. RoadtoSchool believes in the importance of raising awareness as a key step towards providing girls the opportunity to attend school. We raise awareness about girls’ education within our club, by sharing and discussing stories of girls from different backgrounds, and within our school and our community by inviting guest speakers.
6. What is one word that best represents your club (e.g. adventure, energy, fun)?
‘Love’ is the word that can best represent our club as the original intention of our club is to try our best to deliver and spread our love to those who need help. More than 130 million girls around the world are out of school due to various obstacles they face, some of which include poverty, war, child marriage, and child labour. As high school students, we want to use the resources we have to help provide girls access to education.
7. To whom would you recommend this club (e.g. to those who have a passion for teaching others)?
If you are warm-hearted person willing to make a contribution to positively and tangibly change the lives of the girls from high school in Africa, I highly recommend this club to you.