CLUB OF THE MONTH: THE OCEAN WISE CLUB
Image source: "Health Index: Earth's Oceans 67% Healthy.” Awesome Ocean, 2 Oct. 2014, awesomeocean.com/news/health-index-earths-oceans-67-healthy/.
Interview with Michelle Lu of the Ocean Wise Club
Edited by Katy Lau
1. Please introduce us to your club (basic information including club name, when it was founded, meeting time/place, sponsor teacher, the overall purpose/aim of the club)
The Ocean Wise Club is a new club founded in the 2018/2019 school year. We generally meet in the skills room or Ms. Kim's classroom on the first Thursday of each month at lunch time. The purpose of this club is to help Uhillians understand the significance of sustainability and our impact on the ocean and educate people about the our diverse oceanic ecosystem.
2. Could you describe the activities that take place during club meetings?
During the meeting, we will most likely to have a little presentation on a certain topic (ex. how to make more sustainable choices). The two presidents will also share their experiences at the Vancouver Aquarium and help those who are interested to apply.
3. What events are you planning to organize this year?
We are planning on holding a shoreline cleanup and a workshop on sustainability.
4. What is the best part about participating in this club/ what makes your club truly stand out?
The best part would be exploring many areas regarding the ocean, our dear neighbour. We will hold fun activities where members can practice on recycling and identifying items that are potentially dangerous to the ocean. The members will also be introduced to various volunteer opportunities the aquarium holds for us.
5. What is one word that best represents your club (e.g. adventure, energy, fun)?
6.To whom would you recommend this club (e.g. to those who have a passion for teaching others)?
I would recommend the club to those who are passionate about the ocean, marine animals and sustainability, or are interested in volunteering opportunities.