CLUB OF THE MONTH: THE VOCAL CLUB
Interview with Melody Hou of the Vocal Club
1. Please introduce us to your club (basic information including club name, when it was founded, meeting time/place, sponsor teacher, the overall purpose/aim of the club)
Vocal club was founded last school year by Nozomi Lyn and Stephanie Jiang. This year, we have five club leaders who are Me, Helene, Keana, Niki, and Phoenix. We meet Tuesday lunch by weekly and our sponsor teacher is Mr D. Our goal this year is trying to get everyone perform with their confidence by knowing each club members a bit more so they are comfortable performing to each other and to the audience with knowing our club members are supporting them.
2. Could you describe the activities that take place during club meetings?
We meet in the music room and what we usually do is singing games like Rockstar and Riff Offs. We stole those two games from Ms Penny and the movie Pitch Perfect. We will do rehearsals the following two meetings for lunch performance.
3. What did your club do last year, in terms of events and any meaningful achievements?
The vocal club lunch performance is sort of like a tradition and club members get to sing in front of the audience. We can sing any song we like with a small group or solo.
4. What events are you planning to organize this year?
We are planning to do performances at senior house and maybe a songwriting workshop just get them to try new things other than singing other people’s work, maybe they can perform their own song. However, we’re not sure about those events but we will try to make them happen. Also, we have some people who are accompanists and if any singer needs accompanists for their solo, the accompanists can have this opportunity to play their instrument and it’ll make performances more fun and memorable.
5. What is the best part about participating in this club/ what makes your club truly stand out?
In my opinion, everyone is having fun while singing with each other. Or the special moments like someone perform for their very first time?
6. What is one word that best represents your club (e.g. adventure, energy, fun)?
7. To whom would you recommend this club (e.g. to those who have a passion for teaching others)?
Anyone who loves to sing or play any instrument!